Tuesday, July 6, 2010

New Ways to Read: Kindle

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation

They've dropped the price of the Kindle. I don't know how I feel about this little trend. On the one hand, very cool at being able to keep all your books and not have to buy bookshelves for them. On the other hand, books are soooooo wonderful. The way they feel in your hand, the way they smell, the act of turning the pages, your eyes bulging out unable to wait for the page to go over so you can keep reading. I've held a Kindle. It wasn't the same.

Back to the first hand, the Kindle is lighter and your hand doesn't ache when you read too long. You can change the size of the font so you don't have to wear your reading glasses if you don't want. And it reads to you. (That really is awfully cool.) Back to the second hand. EXPENSIVE!! (Less expensive now and I guess, like most things, it will continue to go down.) And you can break it. I know two people at least who have cracked their screens. No, that's not a euphimism for gone crazy, they really did crack the screens of their readers. I once dropped the book I was reading into the tub. (Yes, I was reading in the tub.) It swelled up and the pages stuck together. I still read all the way through it.

I'm trying to decide if I want one. If you want one you can click on the picture up there to get one. I may join you at some point. Still on the fence. I tend to fall asleep with my face in a book. I just don't know if I can sleep on a Kindle.

2 comments:

  1. Books are wonderful. Paper and pixels don't feel the same. As I writer, I prefer a hard copy to one so easily deleted from the reader's presence and consciousness.

    But Kindle is small and you can take an endless number of books with you wherever you go. My sister works on a yacht and for her, Kindle mean less stuff to bring when she packs. So there is a convenience factor with Kindle that print media lacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I've been cleaning my house and was dusting a stack of books (on writing of course) and the whole convenience factor really made itself known. Wish you didn't have to re-buy everything to have it on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete